Sunday, May 31, 2009

Serious casualties in week one of the French.

For all tennis junkies out there, I believe you can agree with me that the French Open has never tasted more sugary.
We've already seen more than a couple of top ten players, both in men's and women's side being knocked out of the Slam by amateurs.
Venus Williams got a serious whack that sent her reeling out of the Slam in the third round. It was really a shock for she was booted off in two sets, with an embarrasing "egg" symbol in the first set. In other words, she didn't score anything in the first set.
Novak Djokovic also was toppled in three straight sets. I'm not so sure what is wrong with the Serbian hunkie these days, he is not playing as well as he used to........ And ofcourse as I had predicted, Anna Ivanovic failed to defend the title. It makes you wonder if she really deserved the title after all.
The hugest, and probably the most electrifying shock came from the men's ace, Raphael Nadal, who was given the sorest slap in the backside. I only saw the highlights of the match, but it still feels like am dreaming. The King of clay out in the fourth round? How in hell did that happen?

Now that both defending champions are out, the tournament gets even more fierce.
Who are the two best players going to be?
The world female number one, Dinara Safina seems to be sliding through the Slam magnificently. She hasn't dropped a set since first round. But has she generated enough bravado to scoop a Grand Slam title? I so much doubt that.
The tennis beauty, Maria Sharapova, has also been playing beatifully, though I ain't so sure she can deliver the best.
The mighty Serena is still in as well. Will she be able to stop tongues from wagging about her dramatic episodes on court, and win it for the second time?
With Nadal out of the way, is it Roger Federers chance to get that one Slam that has eluded him?Will he be able to level Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slams this time around?
Well, I wish I could fastforward the days to get to saturday...............am seriously sick and giddy with anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment